Donations

General Discussion

Donations

Postby philg » Fri May 20, 2011 8:21 pm

If this all goes as smoothly as it seems to be headed, I'll be wanting to contribute financially to KEEP it going

It seems only fair to divert some or all of the £10/month I was paying Sky/TiVo as a non-lifetimer

But is it possible to set up recurring payments through Paypal??

If not could there be an alternative

Cheers

Phil G
philg
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Donations

Postby healeydave » Sat May 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Ok, I've added a recurring option on the website, hope I didn't break anything :)

Edit:
I have now removed said "recurring" option due to an annoying idiot trying to hijack the well intended request and portray it as AltEPG trying to move to a subscription system?!?!

Amazing eh?
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby philg » Wed May 25, 2011 1:52 pm

healeydave wrote:I have now removed said "recurring" option due to an annoying idiot trying to hijack the well intended request and portray it as AltEPG trying to move to a subscription system?!?!

Amazing eh?
That explains why I couldn't see it when I looked today

Any chance you could put it back, perhaps with the rider "For those that would like to contribute financially on an ongoing basis....." and "in no way does this reflect an intent to provide the Alternative EPG data only by subscription"

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would find it easier to send you £5/month rather than £60 in one go

PS I just noticed that Paypal calls these recurring payments "subscriptions" - which might make the distinction I am trying to make disappear :(
philg
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Donations - recurring?

Postby philg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:39 am

I'd like to reopen this thread and the "debate" about recurring subscriptions

I'd like to help the Alt-EPG project in some way, and the easiest way (for now) is financially

I'd certainly like to make a donation, but it woudl have to be a small one

BUT I see no difficulty in making said small donation regularly

Regardless of whether it "looks like a subscription" I am sure I am not the only one who could spare a few quid on a monthly basis to help keep Alt-EPG going

How about it folks??

Phil G
philg
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Furbag » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:32 pm

I think both options should be available, for me it was easier to bung a wedge in direction of altEPG than have yet another small amount going of my account all the time, then bung another wedge further down the line.

One small comment I would make, is it would be nice to know its got to altEPG as todate apart from the paypal reciept I've no real way of knowing it actually got to them, but presumable if I've got a reciept then it has :? :?

Also I've always wondered who the teams actually made up of, I've got a wild guess but cant be certain, maybe they prefer to remain anonymous.

Furbag
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Furbag » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Furbag wrote:One small comment I would make, is it would be nice to know its got to altEPG as todate apart from the paypal reciept I've no real way of knowing it actually got to them, but presumable if I've got a reciept then it has :? :?

I got a "thank for your donation" e-mail today 8)

Felt a bit bad bringing the subject up but without it I didnt really know if the electronic wizardry worked, and I think folks would like to know that their donation has been received, I know I was glad to get it 8)

Many thanks team and keep up the great work altEPG team

Furbag
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby philg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:54 pm

I notice the donations page now has

Code: Select all
The core team would like to make it clear that we are not asking for donations to run the project, nor are we expressing any requirements of donations pertaining to the success and continuation of the project!

Judging from the comments made by the first contributors, it is clear that they just wanted to say "thanks" and this is great because our initial thoughts are that we would prefer not to have the complications of a deemed expectant level of service based on contribution. We are happy to continue to donate our time and resources to the project without renumeration and we just want to make this clear before anyone makes a contribution!

I would have thought that was sufficient to counter the "you're asking for subscriptions" argument against regular donations

Do can we have the choice of one-off or repeating donations please....

Thanks
philg
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General