New IR codes for freeview STB's

General Discussion

Re: New IR codes for freeview STB's

Postby mickb » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Well, I'm glad you were able to capture your codes a_tivo_noob. There are quite a few posts about what set top boxes are compatible with an S1 TiVo, so I was a bit surprised there was not more interest in this method of capturing codes, which makes all boxes compatible.

Using this script you can get the codes for ANY set top box (as far as I can see) provided you have the remote and the STB to test on. I helped a friend who bought a new Freesat box (can't remember model) that wouldn't respond to the TiVo - captured the codes and it is now working fine. I also have a completely non standard setup with a Technomate TM1500 to watch foreign channels and a Digibox for Sky and the TiVo handles that, as well as my digibox without any problems.

If required I would be happy to write a more complete "Capturing IR Codes using irSliceCreator" guide.

It might also be worth having a sticky where codes for specific STB models can be posted so that once captured anyone can use them without having to go through the process themselves.
mickb
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby chrispayne » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:21 am

yes please could you write a more complete "Capturing IR Codes using irSliceCreator" guide.
thanks chris
chrispayne
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby a_tivo_noob » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:24 pm

sounds an idea to me too Mick - i'd go one step further and suggest that the files are put as default onto the next ALTEPG image... maybe user submitted codes could even be built into future images (though appreciate i'm probably pushing it a bit there!)
a_tivo_noob
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:22 pm

a_tivo_noob wrote:sounds an idea to me too Mick - i'd go one step further and suggest that the files are put as default onto the next ALTEPG image... maybe user submitted codes could even be built into future images (though appreciate i'm probably pushing it a bit there!)

Not at all, adding more IR codes is something we all want yes. One thing though, that sort of thing would be sent to ALL of us, not only the people using the AltEPG image :). The IR database falls into the same category as channel lineups, logos and guide data - ie part of the core "Tivo service" and imported to everyone's tivos and downloaded from the server via daily calls and Guided Setups. Tribune updated it from time to time. We've currently got the last one that tribune had.

We could package up the DIY scripts to include in the AltEPG image as a stop-gap but that only helps one person at a time. And so far each person has managed to get the DIY solution working ok. Better to spend the effort on working out how to add new codes for all of us to use in an updated IR database.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby a_tivo_noob » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:18 pm

well, whilst i'm on a roll with wishlists, if you could start doing something that magically updated the remote control, that would be useful as Tivo no longer operates my new LG 42LK450U tv :( ;) (not really, I gather purchasing a 'learning' US Tivo Series 3 remote is the answer to those prayers)

Anyways, should anyone need the codes I generated for my FTA Receiver... a ROSS HD (HDR-8130USB) from B&Q, then they're in the first post here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1213&p=11679#p11679
a_tivo_noob
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bandsp » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 pm

I have just used mickb's instructions (way above) (Good, clear instuctions, thanks) to get the codes for my scart plug freeview box successfully up to the dbsetx bit b..

or at least to getting the xxxxx/yyy numbers ..

I got to the TIVOWEBPLUS ....setup/source value, but have two values .. (416797/189 & 416797/190)

I have used the first and it appears to work .. correct output to the display . but I cant find the (2999x) codes for STB setup under any box make .

I have tried using 'mySTBcodes.tcl' and an 'existing STB make'.tcl

The captured codes work fine from irSliceCreator ..

I had to edit the .tcl file to change DIGenter, as others have done.

further advice appreciated

Thanks
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby martinveasey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:56 am

I have used the first and it appears to work .. correct output to the display . but I cant find the (2999x) codes for STB setup under any box make .

I've just run through the process and noted this too. I believe that the secret is in the multi-stage instructions. The tivosh portion enters the new STB data information into the tivo STB database and the dbsetx instruction tells the Tivo to use the entry that you've carefully crafted.

I can't find my entry onscreen either but it did work once I issued the dbsetx command - conversely, I found that if I selected any other STB from the Tivo, the fix stopped working. Consequently, I reckon the intention is that the new STB fix likely only works by selection from the command prompt.

Cheers
martinveasey
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby martinveasey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:14 am

I thought I'd share my experiences with the ircodes script shared by mickb - briefly, it's a real boon but can be a bit fiddly to use. Hopefully these thoughts will help:

• The biggest annoyance I ran into is the so-called "script bug" which occurs when, while processing a key capture, the script dumps a bunch of programming language on the screen and then appears to complete. Best advice there is to stop the script and delete the two files generated - one starting with the key number (eg 2.cap) and the other starting key2 (or whatever). Then restart the script and try again
  • It's a fairly long and painful process, so take your time. I found it easiest to capture key 1, test it and then only proceed to key 2 once I'd got a good capture. If the first capture failed (about 40% of the time for me) then I retried again before moving on

The script should have worked perfectly for my box and should be compatible with any reasonable Linux implementation. However I did find two tweaks worthwhile:
  • The script seeks to identify and "kill" existing instances of irtest running and does it in a non-invasive way using the kill -1 command. I found that this didn't always work and that changing the command to kill -9 throughout was more successful (kill -9 issues an unconditional and unfriendly directive of "stop now and die" to the process addressed)
  • I found the handling of user input from the menus a bit unreliable. The script as written should have worked fine with the operating system but I made the user input read process a little more reliable as follows - there are multiple instances of code like the following:

Code: Select all
    read response

which I changed to
    Code: Select all
    read
    response=$REPLY

I've attached a copy of my amended irSliceCreator.sh file in case anyone wants to use it.

Our new STB is a cheap but functional Goodmans GDB18 which I bought from Maplins. I've attached a copy of the generated IR codes TCL file with the hope that it might help someone else !

EDIT: 2014-05-13. Don't recommend people go for this box - it likes to upgrade its EPG and throws an intrusive banner across the picture! :x http://www.tivoland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1666

Both attached files are ZIPped.

Cheers
Attachments
Goodmans GDB18 ircodes.zip
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
irSliceCreator.zip
(4.03 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Last edited by martinveasey on Tue May 13, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
martinveasey
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby bandsp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:14 pm

martinveasey wrote:

I've just run through the process and noted t...........

Cheers

I thought I had posted that I was up and running after my previous post .. maybe in another thread ..

Recently for some reason, either TiVo isn't sending the "enter" key or the STB isn't acting on it .. but I can't face going through the procedure again .. it is working acceptably .. I won't fix it till I get another STB
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Previous

Return to General