New IR codes for freeview STB's

General Discussion

Re: New IR codes for freeview STB's

Postby Raffles » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:36 pm

mickb wrote:Fortunately there are some steps that are not necessary on a UK TiVo.

Summary of steps from OzTivo:-

1. cd /hack/etc
2. mkdir ircodes
3. cd ircodes
4. (Then FTP the 2 zip files to this directory on your OzTiVo)
5. unzip irSliceCreator.zip
6. unzip powerIRTools-0.1.zip
7. chmod a+x irSliceCreator.sh
8. cp irlock /hack/bin (This will put irlock in a directory that is in your PATH)
9. Setup with laptop near TV and Tivo.
10. Run irSliceCreator without arguments.
11. Select option '1' ('Determine target code length')
12. exit irSliceCreator
13. Run irSliceCreator, by specifying the command line arguments
14. Capture: Now choose option '3' ('Capture one key'), to capture one code
15. Test your captured code by using option '6'
16. Repeat the capture process for the remaining keys
17. use option '7' ('Output Codes to Device File')
18. updated the Tivo database with captured codes
19. execute "dbsetx XXXXXX/YY CableBoxCodeNum ZZZZZ "
20. Reboot Tivo

I've tried this process on an AltEpg imaged Tivo and it fails at step 11 with the following error "Failed to connect: no such file or directory". Any ideas?

R.
UK Tivo x1 + Sony D800U x1
#1 Hacks: 1Tb (Samsung SATA), Cachecard, rear panel mods, AltEPG 1.0d, integrated D800U.
Raffles
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mickb » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:42 pm

From your post it looks like you used the scripts from the OZTivo site. These have to be changed in a couple of places.

Instead try using the ircodes.tar file that is attached to my previous post. When you untar it it will create an ircodes directory which will contain all the necessary files and the updated scripts. That should hopefully sort out your error.
mickb
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Raffles » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:08 am

So 'ircodes.tar' replaces both irSliceCreator.zip and powerIRTools-0.1.zip.

So the steps should be (I'll write them up in full once I've clarified them):-

1. FTP 'ircodes.tar' to /hack directory.
2. Run 'tar xvf ircodes.tar'
3. Setup with laptop near TV and Tivo.
4. Run irSliceCreator without arguments.
5. Select option '1' ('Determine target code length')
6. exit irSliceCreator
7. Run irSliceCreator, by specifying the command line arguments
8. Capture: Now choose option '3' ('Capture one key'), to capture one code
9. Test your captured code by using option '6'
10. Repeat the capture process for the remaining keys
11. use option '7' ('Output Codes to Device File')
12. updated the Tivo database with captured codes
13. execute "dbsetx XXXXXX/YY CableBoxCodeNum ZZZZZ "
14. Reboot Tivo

Please bear with me while I make sure I've got the process straight. :) I've got very limited time and I can't afford to keep looping through this process. I'm going to re-image my test Tivo in the next few days so that I start the above process clean.

R.
#1 Hacks: 1Tb (Samsung SATA), Cachecard, rear panel mods, AltEPG 1.0d, integrated D800U.
Raffles
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby johnscott99 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:33 am

I know I'm pushing it here, but would it be eventually possible to have an AltEPG image which has a remote control learning function for all users?

eg: Doesn't matter what freeview box you buy, go to certain setup page and press 0 to 9 and TiVo will learn.

(even if it's don'e via a bash prompt to start the IR learning and then and a flashing light on the front to indicate that it's learnt each button).

No sharing of IR Slices, but your TiVo learns your freeview box.
johnscott99
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Raffles » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:35 pm

OK, some apparent progress.

Re-imaged drive.
Captured codes using process outlined in my last post.
Then at step 13 I get the following:-

[TiVo [p0] /hack/ircodes]# tivosh
% source oztivo_zenith.tcl
% oztivo_zenith
Setting oztivo_zenith codes for TiVo 30061...
invalid attribute: DigEnter
% exit
[TiVo [p0] /hack/ircodes]# dbsetx 416797/14 CableBoxCodeNum 30061
416797/14 CableBoxCodeNum val was: 30061
416797/14 CableBoxCodeNum set to : 30061
[TiVo [p0] /hack/ircodes]# reboot

I'm going to have a quick look at the contents of oztivo_zenith.tcl and edit out the 'enter' digit. Then re-run step 13.

If that doesn't work (or even if it does) I'm off to bed as this has kept me up far too long :shock:

R.
Raffles
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Raffles » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Yaba daba doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

It worked:-
[TiVo [p0] /hack/ircodes]# tivosh
% source oztivo_zenith.tcl
% oztivo_zenith
Setting oztivo_zenith codes for TiVo 30061...
Finished! Reboot your TiVo for the new codes to take effect.
% exit
[TiVo [p0] /hack/ircodes]# dbsetx 416797/14 CableBoxCodeNum 30061
416797/14 CableBoxCodeNum val was: 30061
416797/14 CableBoxCodeNum set to : 30061
[TiVo [p0] /hack/ircodes]#

I've just tested it and it works!!! I might need to redo the '8' but now I know the process works it becomes a finite task.

Then I can move onto integrating the tuner inside the Tivo case!!! :D

R.
Raffles
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mickb » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:08 am

Great, I'm glad you have had some success :D . It is a fiddly time consuming process but once you capture that first code and test it and it actually changes the channel on your unsupported STB it is hard to stop. I also found that some buttons didn't work first time, but you just need to re-capture them and if the test works you save it and go on to the next button.

As far as I can see you can capture the IR codes of any STB quite easily no matter how old or new it is.

I also like johnscott99's idea of making the tivo able to just learn any IR codes from any remote you point at it. Well, you can already do that with irSliceCreator at the command line but to be able to do it in the GUI would be amazing. But there are probably more important things to concentrate on at the moment.
mickb
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby johnscott99 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 am

This is where AltEPG picks up from where TiVo left the UK back in 2002/ 2003.

AltEPG will (hopefully) go to on to support a wide range of new Freeview boxes.

I'm delighted!
johnscott99
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Excellent work!
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby a_tivo_noob » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:43 pm

i know this is a blast from the past i'm re-raising, but thanks for posting this - can hopefully look through it over the next few days to sort out a new free-to-air satbox i've received :)
a_tivo_noob
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby a_tivo_noob » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 pm

MickB - a belated thanks for this post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=514#p5864

Maybe it should be tarted up and made a sticky of its own as to how to do it? - your instructions and file were absolutely perfect and i'm now all sorted!

Only thing I had to adjust was the "Target Length" (which was 2 for me) and it is up and running.

What did baffle me is I spent a few minutes looking for the Set Top box within the list of set top boxes available, only to realise it just sets your current settings to it so you dont' have to do anything :)
a_tivo_noob
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby chhym » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Reading through this as I need to sort out something if I want to keep TiVo alive after the analog shutdown (april).

I have basic TiVo mk1 using the original code and no network card etc, just good old modem.

I see lots of command line stuff which I have no problem with apart from how do you get to the command line?

Does this mean I can now use any STB? as last time I tried I could not get TiVo and the STB talking to each other via IR.

Chris
chhym
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby DX30 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:29 pm

chhym wrote:I see lots of command line stuff which I have no problem with apart from how do you get to the command line?

You can make or buy a serial cable and connect to the TiVo that way, a search of the forums will find the details. Assuming you are running the original TiVo software you are going to have to put the TiVo drive in a PC and modify the software to use the serial cable to provide a command line prompt.

One option is to use the AltEPG image, it already has the appropriate software installed. If you want to keep your existing recordings you'll find a few threads here as to how to manually enable Serial PPP on the TiVo instead.

You might want to consider fitting a network card instead of using a serial cable. It costs a bit more initially but not using the modem for daily calls may reduce your phone bills. You will still need to modify the TiVo software to use the appropriate drivers, either with the AltEPG image or manually.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby chhym » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks DX30,

I picked up a second TiVo from a work colleague many months ago with the idea of dropping on the altEPG onto that for some "R+D" time so I have no concerns over keeping/loosing recorded programs.

All I need is confirmation about the STB - looking at Premier AV TV-1108V-SD as it plugs directly into the SCART socket which keeps everything neat and you can hide all of the IR stuff at the back on the system.

Yup - The network option would be good I can then save programs to the Netgear raid array which has TiVo support assuming that supports it. Baby steps first... Lets get the altEPG and the Premier working first.

Chris
chhym
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby a_tivo_noob » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:12 am

to confirm Chris, this will allow you to use any IR STB (unless there's limitations I'm unaware of) - put it this way, I thought I was screwed with the modern box i'd bought but for my FTA Sat. Dish and even I managed to get it up and running!

just make sure you keep a copy of the STB codes that you generate (if you ever need to wipe the Tivo, they'll save a lot of time!)
a_tivo_noob
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

PreviousNext

Return to General