Original image vs. altEPG image

General Discussion

Original image vs. altEPG image

Postby mutant_matt » Tue May 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Chaps,

I am not sure if I should post this here in General, or in the Installation area, but hopefully this is ok. There is talk of being able to keep to the original Tivo image (well, original in my case, plus hacks and LBA49 kernel ;) ). What is the advantage of re-imaging to the altEPG image, vs. staying with what I've got, and also, if I stay with what I've got, it's not clear to me if my current hacks and setup, will be modified or not when I connect to the new EPG service?

I'm think in particular about my modified .profile, rc.sys.author (name off the top of my head so it might be wrong), endpad setup (and other hacks), and importantly, my Mode0 setup. Will I need to back this stuff up and reinstall if I stick with the image I have and just point at the new EPG service?

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me! :)

Cheers,

Matt.
mutant_matt
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: Original image vs. altEPG image

Postby nick1austin » Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 pm

I assume your TiVo is networked?

If yes then my suggestion is to stick with your current image because that's the simplest change (just one file in you image needs to change - /etc/tclientUK.conf).

If it doesn't work out you can always swap to the altEPG image later.
Last edited by nick1austin on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nick1austin
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mesaka » Tue May 24, 2011 8:26 pm

nick1austin wrote:If yes then my suggestion is to stick with your current image because that's the simplest change (just one file in you image needs to change - /etc/tclientUK.conf).

If it doesn't work out you can always swap to the altEPG image later.

Thats exactly the route I am taking!
mesaka
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby mutant_matt » Tue May 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Many Thanks. However, whilst my Tivo is networked, I never could get the updates over the web working, so I gave up and left it on dial up for that task (this was some years back). Now would be a good time to try again, so would the steps be:

1. re-run the nic_config script and fill in all the settings again, reboot
2. pull the phone cable, do a test call
3. If successfull, do the /etc/tclientUK.conf change? (is that documented in the Network change thread in the Installations & config section?)

Cheers,

Matt.
mutant_matt
Almost there...
Almost there...

Return to General