How many are on altEPG

General Discussion

Re: How many are on altEPG

Postby mrtickle » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Pete77 wrote:
mrtickle wrote:You said it.

But it can be equally dangerous to have a mentality that just because something is produced by volunteers people should be happy with any old level of service that the volunteers feel like delivering.

No-one here has that mentality.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Pete77 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:50 pm

mrtickle wrote:No-one here has that mentality.

I seem to have seen a bit of that attitude by some of the AltEPG developers in relation to the issue of the importance or otherwise of providing adequate dialup capacity to support unmodified Tivo boxes on the AltEPG. Fortunately Tivo have now chosen to provide some extra breathing space that will probably allow enough time for that issue to be addressed.

It is clearly very unfortunate that dialup requires so much more capacity during the initial conversion phase than for subsequent ongoing day to day call handling.

Whilst it is true that if people buy a Cachecard and a new hard drive they won't then need to dial up any more I suspect most S1 users would probably rather spend the £180 required on buying a Freesat HD or Freeview HD box. So therein lies the dilemma.

The only solution I can think of is for some ISP with lots of dialup modem capacity that is now largely unused due to declining demand being prepared to configure a bank of those modems to work with a Tivo's ancient data transfer protocols. The costs of providing enough capacity with the AltEPG's own phone lines might be rather high and hence nobody really wants to have to pick up the bill for that.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pete77 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:07 pm

mrtickle wrote:No-one here has that mentality.

I seem to have seen a bit of that attitude by some of the AltEPG developers in relation to the issue of the importance or otherwise of providing adequate dialup capacity to support unmodified Tivo boxes on the AltEPG. Fortunately Tivo have now chosen to provide some extra breathing space that will probably allow enough time for that issue to be addressed.

It is clearly very unfortunate that dialup requires so much more capacity during the initial conversion phase than for subsequent ongoing day to day call handling.

Whilst it is true that if people buy a Cachecard and a new hard drive they won't then need to dial up any more I suspect most S1 users would probably rather spend the £180 required on buying a Freesat HD or Freeview HD box. So therein lies the dilemma.

The only solution I can think of is for some ISP with lots of dialup modem capacity that is now largely unused due to declining demand being prepared to configure a bank of those modems to work with a Tivo's ancient data transfer protocols. The costs of providing enough capacity with the AltEPG's own phone lines might be rather high and hence nobody really wants to have to pick up the bill for that. Whilst I know a bank of I think four lines is meant to be coming on stream soon (I'm not sure if the phone lines are being provided by Sipgate or a similar virtual phone line solution that will therefore not involve ongoing phone line rental costs) I don't know whether that will be enough or whether as many as 8 or 10 lines may be needed.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby tivomas » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:49 am

There will be at least 10 lines running (on our ISP kit), we are just waiting for a geograhpic number to be allocated and routed. Shouldn't be long now.

The intention is to increase this number during the initial days too.
TiVo since Oct 2000
tivomas
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The maverick » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:59 am

"Fortunately Tivo have now chosen to provide some extra breathing space that will probably allow enough time for that issue to be addressed"

Can anyone shed light on this?
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:15 am

Simply means they haven't shut it down yet. But they will soon (almost certainly within the next 2 weeks).
Rachel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The maverick » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:18 am

Right, thanks - time for a daily call then.
The maverick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Pete77 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:27 am

Rachel wrote:Simply means they haven't shut it down yet. But they will soon (almost certainly within the next 2 weeks).

What is your information source on that very specific timescale Rachel. I thought only Dave was a party to the Non Disclosure Arrangement with Tivo?
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:28 pm

I've only seen your speculation that Dave has signed an NDA, not seen anything more than that.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Heuer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:39 pm

"Yes, but frustratingly, under NDA, I can't comment which is really annoying since some of the info I was given, I believe would benefit both Tivo and the end users"

Posted here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... ost8532797
Heuer
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby mrtickle » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Heuer wrote:"Yes, but frustratingly, under NDA, I can't comment which is really annoying since some of the info I was given, I believe would benefit both Tivo and the end users"

Posted here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... ost8532797

I sit corrected. I only have time to read this forum at the moment, and I assumed it was somewhere here.
--
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Previous

Return to General