Old EPG STILL Here.

General Discussion

Re: Old EPG STILL Here.

Postby spitfires » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Pete77 wrote:I tried a Google search for "series 1" tivo uk epg and guess what on the first five pages of results there was nothing mentioned other than the death of the official S1 service and the creation of AltEPG.

So that's it? One search and you give up? :roll:

Pete77 wrote:Also how come nobody other than you has ever mentioned the existence of these alternatives to AltEPG on this forum

One of them was discussed on this forum in March this year.
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Pete77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Tcm2007 wrote:Since the whole of science is "reading between the lines" to try to discover the underlying truths behind the set of results you get from experiments, you could not be more wrong if you tried.

That is in terms of interpreting the results of the bunsen burner experiments which is an argument about different interpretations of the facts.

However I was talking about different interpretations applied to the same set of words and this is something that politcians and lawyers rather than scientists spend most of their time arguing about .
Last edited by Pete77 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pete77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:50 pm

spitfires wrote:So that's it? One search and you give up? :roll:

One of them was discussed on this forum in March this year.

I didn't patronise this forum until May.

As you quite obviously know the answer why don't you just provide the quite clearly hard to track down link rather than simply enjoying winding other members of the forum up as seems to be your main preference.

And most people enjoy being spoon fed far more than I do. That is why Sky+ and Freeview are such successful products.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pete77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:55 pm

ByTheCringe wrote:I'm a telly addict, and I don't find it difficult to keep six occupied.

Don't you find it difficult to watch six programs at once though! Surely there must be other fellow telly addicts also living in your household?

And surely two dual tuner Humax HD boxes ought to be enough belt and braces back up against missing programs especially when there is now so much online catchup tv also available if the worst happens.

Or are you saying that you have a Humax HD box and a tv in every single room in your house including the bathroom so that there is never a moment when you cannot be watching tv!
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Tcm2007 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Pete77 wrote:However I was talking about different interpretations applied to the same set of words and this is something that politcians and lawyers rather than scientists spend most of their time arguing about .

Again, you couldn't be more wrong; scientists attempt to discover which of the many interpretations of their results is the true one.
Tcm2007
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby ByTheCringe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Pete77 wrote:
ByTheCringe wrote:I'm a telly addict, and I don't find it difficult to keep six occupied.

Don't you find it difficult to watch six programs at once though! Surely there must be other fellow telly addicts also living in your household?

And surely two dual tuner Humax HD boxes ought to be enough belt and braces back up against missing programs especially when there is now so much online catchup tv also available if the worst happens.

Or are you saying that you have a Humax HD box and a tv in every single room in your house including the bathroom so that there is never a moment when you cannot be watching tv!

We are getting very close to having an off-topic discussion. But,
a. My wife and i don't watch anything live, and several (twin-tuner) Humaxes are often recording in peak hours, some programmes for one of us, or for both, while usually one is playing back, often one that is recording..
b. Three of them are used for my programmes, three for hers or joint programmes.
c. We don't have HD. Apart from the Humaxes, programmes are sourced from TiVo (but no new ones can be recorded), the Sky +HD box, which is the standard Sky recorder now, even for SD recordings, and a DVD recorder.
d. I bought 6 Humaxes to allow for eventual failures, not wanting to end up with non-matcing units. But in five or six years, I have replaced three HDDs, but so far they are all working, and I certainly recommend them.
e. Pretty well any source can be watched in the lounge while pretty well any other source is sent by modulated RF signal to TVs in the dining room, kitchen, and the wife's yoga room. All radio recordings are on Humax.
f. I can be watching telly most of the time , but we don't use a set in the bedroom , although it is wired.
ByTheCringe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby drgeoff » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:01 pm

Pete77 wrote:
spitfires wrote:Other guide data solutions exist for the UK S1 TiVo (and have done for many years)
(lest anyone claim they binned their TiVo because of AltEPG).

So then why are most of us on here other than a very small number of Tivo owning IT cognoscenti (which you are clearly one of) wholly unaware of them and why are none of us regular Tivo users making use of them rather than instead hoping for the best from the AltEPG project.

I think you probably mean there are theoretically other guide data solutions available but to utilise them would require holding a PhD in computer studies and having many, many hours of free time available to work out how to feed the guide data in to the Tivo and create database entries for new series etc, etc.

Starter for ten: http://www.kitschcamppalace.org.uk/content/view/137/1/
drgeoff
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pete77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:14 pm

But surely kitschcamp modified a UK Tivo to work with the EPGs of Canal Digital and not a UK EPG source.

However I don't believe there is any viable alternative currently available for the average ordinary Tivo user to the AltEPG project. Clearly with a lot of fiddling around and possession of general good IT knowledge and programming skills any Tivo user might be able to roll their own data but most users have neither the IT ability or the time or inclination to do so.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mikerr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:41 pm

Pete77 wrote:But surely kitschcamp modified a UK Tivo to work with the EPGs of Canal Digital and not a UK EPG source.

The method is the important part, not the which data he loads into it.
Both that direct slice loading method and the emulator method altepg use both involve generating UK tivo slice files
- the only real difference is altepg is using oztivo's service emulator to deliver them to tivos.
mikerr
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pete77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:48 pm

mikerr wrote:Both that direct slice loading method and the emulator method altepg use both involve generating UK tivo slice files
- the only real difference is altepg is using oztivo's service emulator to deliver them to tivos.

The emulator is clearly worth bothering with when you want to support a large community of users who are not themselves slice creation or data loading literate. It is not necessary for someone doing it themselves or if supporting a small technically literate group who all have network cards in their Tivos.

But at the end of day it is all only within the do it yourself capability of users with a fairly high level of IT skills. I think the point of spitfires line of argument was probably to try and say "if you think you can do it any better yourself you are going to find it a lot of hard work for a much less good result than that currently being achieved by the AltEPG".
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby IBP » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:35 pm

Pete77 wrote:I think the point of spitfires line of argument was probably to try and say "if you think you can do it any better yourself you are going to find it a lot of hard work for a much less good result than that currently being achieved by the AltEPG".

I don't understand your argument. If you can't do it yourself why are you continually criticizing those that set up altepg by telling them what they should think or how they should act? Have you actually contributed anything to altepg except for comments on every dialup thread about how much call charge's will be and how it will put people off?
IBP
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pete77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:48 pm

IBP wrote:I don't understand your argument. If you can't do it yourself why are you continually criticizing those that set up altepg by telling them what they should think or how they should act? Have you actually contributed anything to altepg except for comments on every dialup thread about how much call charge's will be and how it will put people off?

I volunteered to help with looking at listings for accuracy or completeness once they had been processed through by the IT experts but my offer wasn't taken up. I believe far more people volunteered help than the AltEPG was actually able to use.

I am not knocking all the hard work the AltEPG crew are putting in but the only thing I am questioning is whether the listings will remain as full and complete and Season Passes as reliable as they generally were with the Tribune EPG (there were some errors but there always will be with any form of EPG data and they were less bad than those of most rival products). Even if Season Passes prove an issue (they clearly require the most work to maintain accurately) then Title Wishlists will be a viable alternative except for series that are also showing programs from older series on one or more other channels.

I want there to be another replacement Tivo EPG I am just concerned that with the effective end of the Tribune EPG on Saturday for all of us that the AltEPG is not fully quite ready as yet to take over from it. And I am just concerned that we do not therefore lose lots of Tivo users to Freesat or Freeview HD boxes as a result of this.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby healeydave » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Sorry, been busy and only just seen the alerts to this thread.

Just scanned back a few pages, clearly a major drift off topic occurred, despite going back on topic (in a fashion), I'm closing as clearly the old epg is not still here :!:
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Previous

Return to General