Which EPG to use?

General Discussion

Which EPG to use?

Postby dmd » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:26 pm

I swapped over to AltEPG on May 30th and it seems to be working fine. I have a TiVoNet card (yes the original 10Mb version) and it has connected without any problems. The guide data is slightly different and it seems to be confused about omnibuses. Also there seems to be guide data for less time in the future, but on the whole, it does what I want. At this point I say "Bravo" to the developers and a big vote of thanks.

However, I have just discovered that the old EPG is still working. I am wondering whether to swap back until the service goes away (if it does) or stick with AltEPG.

The main benefit of swapping back would be to get an extra few days guide data. Not a huge benefit. Unfortunately I cannot replace a lot of my season passes for programmes which are not currently on (already gone after my guided setup) so this is not a benefit. I also wonder whether reducing load on the AltEPG servers is beneficial or whether it doesn't really matter for users of networked TiVos.

The benefit of sticking with AltEPG is that I have already done the migration so don't have to do guided setup again (twice).

This is my main (only) TiVo which has been in daily use since 2001 and we have no other PVR. My wife is delighted that TiVo lives on, as am I.
dmd
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: Which EPG to use?

Postby Rachel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:38 am

Only you can make that decision, but if it were me I'd stick with AltEPG once you're on it. There seems little point in going back to Tivo data source since they could switch that off at any time now :shock: and then you'd be panicking to try and get back on to AltEPG at the same time as xxx other people!
Rachel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to General