How do I reset "Account Closed" (fixsub.tcl)

General Discussion

Re: How do I reset "Account Closed" (fixsub.tcl)

Postby spitfires » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:02 am

mrtickle wrote:Tivoweb has a load of checks in it. It knows that you've run fixsub and doesn't start up again (either during the boot sequence or manually).

:? 1.9.4 starts up ok on my 'reset' TiVo - what does it say when you try it?
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bigwold » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:35 am

spitfires wrote:
mrtickle wrote:Tivoweb has a load of checks in it. It knows that you've run fixsub and doesn't start up again (either during the boot sequence or manually).

:? 1.9.4 starts up ok on my 'reset' TiVo - what does it say when you try it?

Same problem here after running fixsub ie Tivoweb doesn't start on boot up and doesn't start manually either. mrtickle, do you know of a fix?
bigwold
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby spitfires » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:56 am

:roll: If you tell me what error message you are getting (c.f. /var/log/tivoweb.log) I will try and fix it for you!
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bigwold » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:31 am

Can't find anything in the log however fixed with a daily call (to tivo) and a reboot.
bigwold
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby spitfires » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:01 am

Tivoweb 1.9.4 should start just fine if you use the fixsub.tcl given in post #1 above. However if you used some other version of fixsub.tcl and/or 1.9.4. will no longer start, then replace your "tivoweb" file with this one.

NOTE: ONLY do this for Tivoweb 1.9.4 ! (NOT Tivoweb Plus)
Attachments
tivoweb.zip
(547 Bytes) Downloaded 210 times
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mrtickle » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:51 pm

spitfires wrote::roll: If you tell me what error message you are getting (c.f. /var/log/tivoweb.log) I will try and fix it for you!

Aha, good luck with that, as /var/log/tivoweb.log is only created by tivowebplus, not tivoweb :D

It took me quite some time last night. I'm in a quirky position on this issue as I helped lightn (one of the tivoweb authors) with a lot of testing of the necessary changes for it to work at all on uk tivos, during the 2.5.5 beta testing period. He had his reasons for wanting to combat the USA users who were stealing the tivo service at the time. Even now, aggrieved as I was yesterday, I see why he did it. And, I learned a few neat tricks in tcl last night so it's not all bad.

So out of respect for lightn, and not least because no-one has done so before when I googled it, I won't be the one to blow open tivoweb's protection in public.

Sounds like some people don't have the problem anyway. If people still have problems my advice is to use tivowebplus until they switch over, then 1.9.4 should work ok anyway. I have a particular reason for wanting to use my customisations on top of 1.9.4, and that is guide data comparisons and fixes to the tvguide Db (which hopefully benefits everyone here)!
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby spitfires » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:34 pm

mrtickle wrote:Aha, good luck with that, as /var/log/tivoweb.log is only created by tivowebplus, not tivoweb :D

Ah... oops! It's been a long long long time since i used 1.9.4 for anything other than regression testing! :lol:
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bandsp » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:50 pm

I have had my account go to "closed" and TiVo is doing strange things ....

So looks like I had better switch to AltEPG (Thanks youse guys)

Having read (and tried to understand) this thread not sure that an bog standard, unmodified TiVo will get the Account Closed status changed, .. or will I have to to hack the box and fit network cards etc to get the full AltEPG facility?

It must be wonderful to know what you are doing..
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby worm » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:11 pm

worm
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Pete77 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:32 pm

spitfires wrote:Tivoweb 1.9.4 should start just fine if you use the fixsub.tcl given in post #1 above. However if you used some other version of fixsub.tcl and/or 1.9.4. will no longer start, then replace your "tivoweb" file with this one.

NOTE: ONLY do this for Tivoweb 1.9.4 ! (NOT Tivoweb Plus)

Running fixsub.tcl worked fine for me and rebooting my Tivo returned me to 5 Lifetime Status from 8: Account Closed. However I now find I cannot connect to Tivoweb even though I can still telnet to the box and /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl and associated files and subdirectories are all still there.

So I just FTPed over the replacement tivoweb file in to the tivoweb-tcl directory and rebooted the Tivo but I find I have the same problem of still having no access to Tivoweb. :cry:

Can anyone make any further suggestions on what I can do to try and restore access to Tivoweb?
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bigwold » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Pete77 wrote:
Can anyone make any further suggestions on what I can do to try and restore access to Tivoweb?

See my post above (call to tivo and reboot) to get tivoweb back. Then I suggest you use a test call to altepg to reset your status and hence make the programme data available again.
bigwold
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby Pete77 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:11 pm

bigwold wrote:See my post above (call to tivo and reboot) to get tivoweb back. Then I suggest you use a test call to altepg to reset your status and hence make the programme data available again.

Your suggestions and those of spitfires seem to run rather in contradiction of each other. I previouslyt though only dialup only users were meant to connect to the AltEPG in a test call to reset their account status to Lifetime and those of us who are networked were meant to use spitfires script. However as anyone who is networked usually uses Tivoweb the two actions will clearly clash with each other.

It would surely be better if Spitfires removed his script and test call connection to the AltEPG was suggested as the only single method to get rid of 8: Closed account status. Also as a networked user a test call to the AltEPG will clearly necessitate me changing settings to network connect to it or alternatively running nic_config_tivo to change my connection method back to dialup and then entering its number in Dial Prefix.

Still I am reluctant to change to the AltEPG till I have to given that the AltEPG is still only operating on an Alpha test basis. Perhaps its easier to do without Tivoweb for a week and pull my network card cable from my router until such moment as I have to switch over to the AltEPG completely next weekend.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Pete77 wrote:It would surely be better if Spitfires removed his script and test call connection to the AltEPG was suggested as the only single method to get rid of 8: Closed account status.

Dunno about you but I credit other people with enough intelligence to read this thread :roll: . A test call to altepg I made yesterday actually reset the 7 day expiry and meant that my tivo reverted to calling the main tivo servers today instead of next week, so my tivo was boat anchored again this morning. I'll thank you not to suggest censoring the script which was the best fix for me.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby spitfires » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:24 pm

I would also add that the script worked just fine for me. The only issue appears to be with Tivoweb 1.9.4 users. As you know this is a very old version and you ought to consider upgrading to TivoWebPlus. I have no issues with TivoWebPlus 2.1 which runs without problems after running fixsub.

(In fact Pete it was you who suggested on the TC forum that I upgrade from TWP 2.0 to 2.1 since as you put it, "it is a newer version" - I didn't realise that you yourself were only running Tivoweb ! :shock: ).

Personally I had no problems with Tivoweb 1.9.4 after running the fixsub script - it works ok for me. And until such time as someone can tell me what error message they get - i.e. *why* it won't load (try running "tivoweb console") - then there's nowt I can do about it. In fact I doubt I'll bother now anyway since most people will be switching to AltEPG properly in the next 3 or 4 days.
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Pete77 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:55 pm

mrtickle wrote:Dunno about you but I credit other people with enough intelligence to read this thread :roll: . A test call to altepg I made yesterday actually reset the 7 day expiry and meant that my tivo reverted to calling the main tivo servers today instead of next week, so my tivo was boat anchored again this morning. I'll thank you not to suggest censoring the script which was the best fix for me.

I realised that the only way to stop account closed happening again and yet maintain networked Tivoweb access was to run nic_config_tivo to change to dial up access until such time as one migrated to AltEPG (delaying doing so for as long as possible seeming to be a reasonable position when it is only in Alpha test).

It was just the inconsistency in your and Spitfires views on how to change from Account Closed back to Lifetime that I was confused by.

One thing that you highly technically minded from birth scientist type people seem to suffer from is not realising just how difficult most of the rest of us with a more arts and social sciences type background actually find some of this stuff even though we can usually manage to follow blow by blow detailed instructions that no doubt seem completely alien to the true tech-head who prefers to fly only by the seat of their pants.

Regarding TivoWebPlus whilst 2.1 is definitely an improvement on 1.3.1 I find that neither version of TivoWebPlus is anywhere near as reliable with an S1 UK Tivo as Tivoweb 1.9.4 and certainly neither of them are as suitable for supporting various add on modules written for Tivoweb 1.9.4 In my experience the majority of people in this forum therefore only use Tivoweb 1.9.4 the majority of the time and put up with using the seemingly crash prone versions of TivoWebPlus only when there is some specific function they offer that is not supported by Tivoweb 1.9.4
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

PreviousNext

Return to General