Alternative to Analogue ?

General Discussion

Alternative to Analogue ?

Postby CentreCourt » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:31 am

I've used one one of our TiVo's as a back-up system on analogue for many years. It would reliably and consistently capture recordings whilst Sky would often crash, fail and lose all recordings. The greatest strength of this set-up was no external dependency as a programme source.

Now that I won't have access to analogue listing, what will be my best option. I'm assuming a freeview box (any suggestions - its only use will be as a source to TiVo?). Will I be able to use something like an RF2 link to directly connect a Freeview box to the TiVo IR so as to minimise the risk of failed channel changes?

Thank-you.
CentreCourt
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: Alternative to Analogue ?

Postby SolidTechie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Best option?

Only you can decide...

You can either use a Freeview box, a subbed or an unsubbed Sky box, or a freesat box, depending on the channels you wish to have access to. My understanding of the rf2 link - is it is designed to operate a Sky Digi box - so if you use that as your source, then yes, it will indeed work - I doubt if it will work with the majority of Freeview boxes, but that's a guess.

Sly boxes are available delivered from about £15 - you may pick one up for less - try freegle/freecycle - or a complete new kit from under £30 at B&Q - this may be cheaper and easier than sourcing a compatible Freeview box
Regards,

Ian
SolidTechie
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General