How about some fun on the Forum!

General Discussion

Re: How about some fun on the Forum!

Postby mrtickle » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:03 am

You also need a house with a garage to charge the car overnight. This is a minority of people before you start.

I just can't see rows of terraced houses with power cables running down everyone's front path and across the pavements to the car, can you? The cables wouldn't last 5 minutes! There are millions and millions of houses without any form of off-street parking.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Furbag » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:16 am

Changing the fun a little.

While your waiting for your altEPG download and TiVo to index etc , why not watch the shuttle live 8)

http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

Just watching them dock it to the SpaceStation 8) pretty amazing stuff to be able to watch a live feed from space and see what goes on in the control room all in real time, the chat between control and the shuttle is interesting especially as there is comantary over the top explaining whats going on and what all the odd terminology is.

Yes I'm a geek :oops:

Furbag
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby VictorMeldrew » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Hooray to Furbag!

I wondered how long it would take for someone to change the subject.

Victor
VictorMeldrew
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Velocitysurfer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:14 pm

I was quite enjoying the fun of the 1st topic!
Velocitysurfer
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby davidshack » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Velocitysurfer wrote:I was quite enjoying the fun of the 1st topic!

Good for you: I got the impression most people contemned it!
davidshack
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby mikerr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:49 am

davidshack wrote:If YOU haven't tried electric, you really have no concept of the advantages. Instant 100% power at any speed - easy to see off sstman's porsches. Great handling due to optimum weight distribution: no big lump in the front.

So is there a reasonably priced pure EV available which isn't like driving a milk float ?

I notice noone has mentioned the models of EVs they have (Prius has been mentioned - but thats not a pure EV).

http://www.electriccarsite.co.uk/uk-ele ... omparisons

I notice in today's news there's charging points plannned for Welcome Break service stations, but the range is still a problem IMO
http://www.thechargingpoint.com/2011/07 ... ng-points/
Last edited by mikerr on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikerr
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Tcm2007 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:08 pm

"The number of electric cars sold in the UK has fallen by over 50% to just 215 in the first three months of the year"

hmm.
Tcm2007
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby Furbag » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:10 pm

mikerr wrote:
davidshack wrote:If YOU haven't tried electric, you really have no concept of the advantages. Instant 100% power at any speed - easy to see off sstman's porsches. Great handling due to optimum weight distribution: no big lump in the front.

So is there a reasonably priced pure EV available which isn't like driving a milk float ?

I notice noone has mentioned the models of EVs they have (Prius has been mentioned - but thats not a pure EV).

http://www.electriccarsite.co.uk/uk-ele ... omparisons

All mine have been secondhand, started life with a Bedford CF electric production built http://www.bedfordcf.co.uk/br/br15.htm good for 50mph and had a range of about 30miles (due to very old batteries) but it did all my local runs for a fair few years and no slouch being able to do 50mph and mine would do 55mph quite easily, Paid £250 for it
Then I converted a Feista to run on batteries, used two motors and 120v battery pack, now this baby was loads of fun, top speed was 75mph and would light up the front wheels if you provoked it with large dobs of throttle :lol: :lol: Cost about £2500 to put together.
Currently running one of these baby's http://www.berlingo-e.co.uk/ bought for £2000 owned for about 5yrs now, 65mph 50-60 mile range.

So as you can see, none have been milk float slouches and none have cost me more than 2.5k 8) been driving EV's for what must be over 15yrs now and with every petrol price rise I grin even more, when it costs me just £1 to do around 50miles :twisted: the current one has almost paid for itself in fuel that I have saved 8)

Furbag
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mikerr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Thanks - at those prices its worth trying,
I'll keep a look out.
mikerr
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Furbag » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:17 pm

mikerr wrote:Thanks - at those prices its worth trying,
I'll keep a look out.

You just have to keep an eye out, but be aware with the berlingo that there is very little available in the way of spares for the electrical side of it now, only buy a fully working one and DONT try to carry out any servicing on the traction battery unless you know what your doing as you can kill it stone dead and Citreon almost deny they ever made them now :roll:
Feel free to PM me if you need more details

Furbag
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Previous

Return to General