TiVo International Operation

General Discussion

TiVo International Operation

Postby tekfreek » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:49 pm

I think what you are doing is great and have been following the topics on keeping TiVo alive with interest. Now my bog standard Mk 1 machine is reduced to the status of a dumb recorder I am about to jump in by buying and fitting a Tivoland replacement drive.

The answer (or not) to my question will not stop me buying, but, I am on the list to emigrate to NZ (no date at present) and have joined the NZTivo forum, to see if they could help with my TiVo when I arrive there. They do not seem to be as "user friendly" as this group and appear to be set up for dedicated computer buffs.

Can anyone please give me information on how my upgraded UK TiVo might be NZ emigration proofed or later modified when I get there ?

Thanks, George.
tekfreek
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: TiVo International Operation

Postby healeydave » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi George,

Off the top of my head, I think you should be well equipped to take your TiVo to NZ, our image is tweaked from their image so all you would probably need to do is edit the server IP and rerun guided setup.

Regs
Dave.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby tekfreek » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks Dave,

I'll mug up on both on NZTivo site and see if I can susit out.

George.
tekfreek
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby spitfires » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:50 am

There were some changes made to the Oz/NZ image for use in the UK (e.g. to remove NZ-specific stuff). You will either need to identify what those changes were (and un-change them) or re-image your disc when you get to NZ.
spitfires
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby tekfreek » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:35 am

Cheers spitfires, I'll defer that problem for a bit and concentrate on getting my new disc up and running.
As a matter of interest (as a bit of a novice) I have both windows machines and a Limpus Linux machine. Can either of these give me a direct view of the TiVo disc without removing it from the box? Via the serial port? Or...? Can it run a USB card? Just thinking of being able to view and brows whats going on as I read about and work out where and what the next step involves.
Whatever, no doubt I'll be asking for more help later.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
tekfreek
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Rachel » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:07 pm

It depends on what you want to view. Most people use Tivoweb or TivoWebPlus which let's you see your programmes and scheduled recordings ect., but to use that you will need to install a network card in the Tivo.

You can't view the disc itself without running a byteswapped kernel and anyway it uses a proprietary format for the Tivo database partitions so you wouldn't see those at all.

But a network card or serial connection WILL allow you to run a telnet session to browse around the Linux bits of the Tivo file system.
Rachel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Furbag » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:26 pm

As a sideways slant on this, now that we're running a altEPG image and have nothing to do with TiVo themselves would or even could a US Series 2 work over here now, fully aware of voltage and NTSC issues but they can be over come, I'm just thinking (outloud) is there a chance it would work :?

Or am I barking

Furbag
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Rachel » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Woof.

I'm afraid not - the S2 uses encryption on the Daily Call data which hasn't AFAIK been cracked yet.
Rachel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Furbag » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Rachel wrote:Woof.

I'm afraid not - the S2 uses encryption on the Daily Call data which hasn't AFAIK been cracked yet.

Poops

Ah well back to getting another e-bay TiVo, but they have gone back up in price it seems now, might have missed the boat :roll:

Furbag
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General