Thompson S1 unable to update EPG

General Discussion

Thompson S1 unable to update EPG

Postby jackie29 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Please help! I cannot download a EPG and I have tried several times. The test call always works and the daily call connects ok for about 7-10 minutes with a status of downloading the then fails with error of Call interrupted. Below are the details for my tivo which is a old Thompson PVR10UK model. My phone line is supplied by Virgin Media. Has anyone managed to get this working with their service?

1) Are you using the AltEPG TiVo software?
(d) I'm still using the original TiVo software
2) How did you configure your TiVo for AltEPG?
(a) changed the dial prefix
3) How do you connect to AltEPG?
(a) dial up
4) Have you run Guided Setup?
(a) yes and it worked ok
5) Did you do a "Clear & Delete"?
(b) "Clear & Delete Programme Data & To Do List"
6) On the "System Information" screen it says:
(a) Account Status 4: TiVo Internal Testing
7) Copy the following from the screen next to "Phone Call" on the "System Information" screen
Last Successful: 11 July 6:32 (this was a test call which ALWAYS succeeds).
Last Attempt: 11 July 6:33
Last Status: Failed Call Interupted
Next Scheduled: 11 July 10:27pm
Dial-In Configuration Code: 000,TFA3
8) What is your Dial Prefix?
recently added ,#56, but still same issue.
jackie29
Powering up...
Powering up...

Re: Thompson S1 unable to update EPG

Postby SolidTechie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Okay - panic ye not.

Repeat the steps - do a Clear & delete, followed by GS - but select a different provider.
Deselect all the channels, just pick one channel and proceed to make the call. When it has indexed the data, then you can repeat the process - another C&D followed by GS - this time with your real provider.

I would recommend again, deselecting all channels and just picking one - it seems to take less time to complete.

Finally, add back you other channels, and if necessary, repeat daily call.
Regards,

Ian
SolidTechie
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby jackie29 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 am

Hi, Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I still cannot get the EPG. Again the call fails on the download with call Interrupted error. It does not download to enable the indexing task to start. When I look at the programs to select I have the no Nag options so I believe that the 1st part of the GS has worked OK.

Any help would be gratefully received I really love my Tivo.
jackie29
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby SolidTechie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:45 pm

I now it's a pain, but all I can suggest it that you repeat the steps once again.

If there is an interruption, then it isn't ever going to work properly. It's also possible that you have a dodgy phone line/socket -try plugging the TiVo in ti the master socket perhaps?
Regards,

Ian
SolidTechie
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby DX30 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:20 pm

If you haven't already tried the 08450800300 number it is worth try, just change the dial prefix and repeat the GS again.

If you are able to configure your TiVo software there are are also other options.

The simplest is probably to try different 0845 numbers - the Installation and Configuration forum has details of the changes you need to make to the TiVo software to do this.

If you have broadband you have another couple of options.

The cheapest would be to use a serial ppp connection to go via your PC. This requires making a special cable as well as changing the TiVo software.

Alternatively you could fit a network card and connect the TiVo directly to your broadband router.
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jackie29 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:19 am

HI

Thanks for the new posts. I have tried the 0845 number with the same result. I think the way forward would be to try it via internet connection. Can anyone point me to any docs which will allow me to progress this. I have a old tivo which has no nic card so I will be needing look at the best way to update. Does the serial PPP option via pc allow me to download the epg to my pc and then upload to tivo. If so this may be a temporary 'fix' until I can get a nic card installed. Again has anyone any instructions on how to use the ppp-serial method.

Many thanks
jackie29
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby Rachel » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:17 pm

Yes, use the search box top right.

However you will need to remove your Tivo's disc and install it in a PC to make some changes to it before PPP-over-serial will work for you.
Rachel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DX30 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:03 am

jackie29 wrote:Again has anyone any instructions on how to use the ppp-serial method.

You'll find much useful info in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=464

As you said you are using the original TiVo image you'll want these files

http://millsb.dyndns.org/tivo_public/ppp/tivo-unhacked/

If you don't want to make a serial cable you could try 9th-tee (assuming you can't find a UK seller)

http://www.9thtee.com/tivo-sa1.htm

If you are new to hacking the TiVo a good introduction is "Tivo Hacks" by Raffi Krikorian. (Although ISTR the serial ppp stuff there is for the US models only).
DX30
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to General