controlling multiple Tivo's

General Discussion

controlling multiple Tivo's

Postby marsmail » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:04 pm

I now have (all thanks to the altEPG team) 2 working tivos each with its own set top box.
According to the manual, it is possible to set each to a different set of IR commands to avoid both reacting to the same remote.
I have tried doing that, and although I followed the instructions to the letter and each one reports a different IR controller number in "system information" and (obviously) each still responds to a controller set to "0" each one will respond to the others controller and reports that it is set to the other IR channel number even though they should not.
Strangely the reported channel varies dependant on whether a remote set to "0" , "correct as programmed" or "incorrect as programmed"is used, that is it reports it is set to whichever channel remote was used to turn it on. (not remaining "fixed" to the programmed remote code.)

Ie if unit one is set to IR code 1 it should respond to the controller set to either "1" or one set to "0", but not one set to "2" and unit two (set to IR code 2) should respond to the other remote set to "2" or one set to "0" but not the one set to "1"

What is happening is pressing "Tivo" on either controller brings on both machines, (although the "wrong" one can be turned off by selecting "standby" on its controller leaving only the wanted one on) Each of which then reports it is set to the channel of the remote that was used, even though one of them was programmed to be on a different channel.
The machines were programmed with each in turn disconnected from the mains, so they could not "catch" the information for the other and store it.
Does anyone else have two Tivos in the same room and if so, do theirs work as described in the manual?
If so, what am I doing wrong?
Or, is it not really possible to control each machine entirely imdependantly of the other?

Can anyone shed light for me please?
How can I live without it?
marsmail
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: controlling multiple Tivo's

Postby Brother52 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:09 am

marsmail wrote:Strangely the reported channel varies dependant on whether a remote set to "0" , "correct as programmed" or "incorrect as programmed"is used, that is it reports it is set to whichever channel remote was used to turn it on. (not remaining "fixed" to the programmed remote code.)

While displaying the System Information screen, TiVo will automatically update it's remote code to match that of any handset used - make sure that you navigate away from that screen before using the "wrong" handset"... ;)
Brother52
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby CarlWalters » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 am

Brother52 wrote:While displaying the System Information screen, TiVo will automatically update it's remote code to match that of any handset used - make sure that you navigate away from that screen before using the "wrong" handset"... ;)

It certainly does do this. I've spent ages fiddling around with bits of foil trying to get a stable set-up to no avail :(

However I am also trying to use a Logitech Harmony Remote instead of faffing about with two peanuts.

The best I've managed so far is TiVo1 behaves correctly and responds only to TiVo1 commands from the Logitech Harmony Remote but TiVo2 responds to both TiVo1 and TiVo2 commands meaning I'm forever inadvertently deleting programmes on TiVo2 by mistake while working on TiVo1.

A way to set up the remote address and making it stick using TiVoWeb would be great.
CarlWalters
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Brother52 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:10 am

CarlWalters wrote:The best I've managed so far is TiVo1 behaves correctly and responds only to TiVo1 commands from the Logitech Harmony Remote but TiVo2 responds to both TiVo1 and TiVo2 commands meaning I'm forever inadvertently deleting programmes on TiVo2 by mistake while working on TiVo1.

Don't forget that remote code 0 (the default) will control *all* TiVos!
Brother52
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby CarlWalters » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:37 am

Brother52 wrote:
CarlWalters wrote:The best I've managed so far is TiVo1 behaves correctly and responds only to TiVo1 commands from the Logitech Harmony Remote but TiVo2 responds to both TiVo1 and TiVo2 commands meaning I'm forever inadvertently deleting programmes on TiVo2 by mistake while working on TiVo1.

Don't forget that remote code 0 (the default) will control *all* TiVos!

Agreed :) -

The problem I seem to have is making the remote addresses "stick" (so that TiVo1 is always IR address 1 and TiVo2 is always on IR Address 2). The process of setting them up is pretty fiddly and prone to user error (especially if you're me :lol: )

If I could assign the IR addresses using TiVoWeb or with a .tcl script then I could throw away my bits of tin foil and have a reliable two TiVo one remote system.
CarlWalters
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Brother52 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:44 am

CarlWalters wrote:The problem I seem to have is making the remote addresses "stick" (so that TiVo1 is always IR address 1 and TiVo2 is always on IR Address 2). The process of setting them up is pretty fiddly and prone to user error (especially if you're me :lol: )

TiVo should only "inherit" the active remote code when it's displaying the System Information screen - just remember to not switch between remotes when doing this (ie: if you go into System Information with either TiVo, just make sure that you back out of it when done).
Brother52
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Teepee » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:15 am

I have up to six Tivos in use here (not all my own!) with remotes assigned 1-6 to control them. There is no problem as long as I don't inadvertantly have one showing the system information page while using the 'wrong remote as mentioned above. if you do accidentally do this, just use the correct remote control to navigate away from the System information page, back to 'Tivo Central' for example and the machine will adopt the correct remote code again. To set up to nine Tivos to work independently, follow this procedure-

Take a remote control and hold down the .Tivo' and 'Pause' buttons for a few seconds until the L.E.D. is steady.

Press the '0' button to set this control to the 0 channel, the L.E.D. flashes three times to show that this is set.
(the 0 channel remote controls all Tivos at once).

Point this remote at your first machine and navigate to the 'System Information' page, then cover the front of this Tivo with a towel or such to block off its i.r. receptor.

Now point this remote at your second machine and do the same, continue until all Tivos are on the System Info page, leaving the last one uncovered.

Select a remote for this machine and press 'Tivo' and 'Pause' buttons until the L.E.D. is steady. Press any number (1-9) to set the remote to this channel. At this stage I usually write the number underneath the remote as a reminder. Point this remote at the uncovered Tivo and return it to 'Standby' mode.

Put this remote to one side and assign the next remote to a different number, as above.

Uncover your next Tivo and use the newly assigned remote to return it to 'Standby. Continue until all your machines are set to individual remotes.

By avoiding having more than one Tivo viewing the system information page or any remote being set to channel 0 you should have no more problems.

Should you need to set up more than nine Tivos, you need to get out more :)
Teepee
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General