Updates to altEPG

General Discussion

Updates to altEPG

Postby bandsp » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:55 am

I have not yet made the decision to go to the altEPG disc .. the original suited me for the past however many years .. but if I did get a new disc, as I understand, the programming is still being developed, how would I go about updating my disc .. I don't really want to get into having to download to the computer and hooking the disc up etc .. can updated versions be done via a normal TiVo call (isn't that the way the origanal TiVo image was updated?
Still learning ..

Mainly because I tend to forget what I have already learned .. I think
bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Re: Updates to altEPG

Postby healeydave » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:51 am

We are looking into that right now.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby bandsp » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:53 am

healeydave wrote:We are looking into that right now.

Watching with interest .. thanks
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby abarthman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Another interested watcher.

I am holding off until the dust settles a bit, but when I do get around to buying an altEPG hard drive, I'd like it to be as easy to update as possible.

A lot of the Linux references and talk of connecting hard drives to computers are a bit off-putting for those of use who don't work in IT and have never taken the side of our computers!
abarthman
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby Pete77 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:29 am

There is no need at all to get up to any of this business of pulling your hard drive and re-imaging it etc, etc. That's all stuff for hard core techies who often find such activities considerably more exciting than intimate relations with members of the opposite sex or indeed their own sex in some cases.

All you need to do to switch to the AltEPG is to put the 0845 or 0161 number mentoned elsewhere on this forum in to the Dial Prefix code field in your Tivos menus and re-run Guided Setup using the single all numeric Postcode for all AltEPG users regardless of their location.

I am rather surprised that the owner of this forum did not immediately make this clear to you in his first reply although I wonder if his own slight conflict of interest in also running a business that derives its profits from sales of replacement hard drives perhaps for some reason unaccountably caused him not to mention the fact that your Tivo can be updated to the AltEPG without any need to open it up, replace its hard drive or tinker with its innards in any other fashion. :D
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby healeydave » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:46 am

Pete77 wrote:I am rather surprised that the owner of this forum did not immediately make this clear to you

Don't be an idiot Pete, the measures and options for using AltEPG are clearly stated all over the forum and I believe by the OP comments that he know's the options!
In my opinion, the OP is merely showing an interest in using the AltEPG version of the image longer-term for its additional tools and benefits of updates through the AltEPG server that we are looking to implement in the future.

We are all used to your sensationalised way of posting to grab attention, so probably shouldn't have gratified this poor dig with a reply.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Postby positor1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:34 am

Dave, I was a little dissapointed you replied to that too, though in your position I guess its dammed if you do and dammed if you dont.

I must go and read the rules of this forum with regard to posts that are intended to annoy, I would have thought repeat offenders would be blocked.
Shame that there is always a disruprive element in anything good.
positor1
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bandsp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 am

Pete77 wrote:There is no need at all to get up to any of this business of pulling your hard drive and re-imaging it etc, etc. That's all stuff for hard core techies who often find such activities considerably more exciting than intimate relations with members of the opposite sex or indeed their own sex in some cases.

All you need to do to switch to the AltEPG is to put the 0845 or 0161 number mentoned elsewhere on this forum in to the Dial Prefix code field in your Tivos menus and re-run Guided Setup using the single all numeric Postcode for all AltEPG users regardless of their location.

I am rather surprised that the owner of this forum did not immediately make this clear to you in his first reply although I wonder if his own slight conflict of interest in also running a business that derives its profits from sales of replacement hard drives perhaps for some reason unaccountably caused him not to mention the fact that your Tivo can be updated to the AltEPG without any need to open it up, replace its hard drive or tinker with its innards in any other fashion. :D

As the TiVo user who started this thread, I am well aware of accessing the new programme data via the new numbers .. I use the 0161 number 'cos I have a free phonecall package.. but I am also aware that a new disc, with new software is available and believe that that software is being updated and has features not available on the bog-standard Tivo Co issue disk.

I don't mind doing the necessary to install that new disk, and, to be honest, would prefer it to "intimate relations with members of ..........my own sex".
but don't want the hassle and fiddle of tearing things apart to update it as and when necessary .. that was the thinking behind starting the thread and, I suspect, the thinking behind Abarthman who also said he was watching ..

I am also well aware that you, Pete77, will never say anything good about the attempt to keep TiVo going when you can say something detrimental ..

With all due respect ....
Last edited by bandsp on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby swuk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:22 am

bandsp wrote:I am also well aware that you, Pete77, will never say anything good about the attempt to keep TiVo going when you can say something detremental ..

Which begs the question: why does he even post on this forum?
TiVo 6023, 120GB Samsung, Terbonet, AltEPG Image
swuk
Almost there...
Almost there...

Postby Pete77 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:06 am

bandsp wrote:I use the 0161 number 'cos I have a free phonecall package..

I would make sure you don't end up being charged to call the 0161 number though in due course given that most phone companies reserve the right to exclude all phone numbers that they identify as being used for data or dial up internet connections.

I don't mind doing the necessary to install that new disk, but don't want the hassle and fiddle of tearing things apart to update it as and when necessary

Then you also need to install a network card like a Cachecard or Turbonet card in your Tivo unless the AltEPG can find a way to roll out Software Updates over the dialup connection like Tivo originally did. Even if they did manage to do this I doubt this would include hacks outside the actual Tivo application such as Tivoweb and Endpad.
Pete77
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby bandsp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:21 am

Pete77 wrote:
bandsp wrote:I use the 0161 number 'cos I have a free phonecall package..

I would make sure you don't end up being charged to call the 0161 number though in due course given that most phone companies reserve the right to exclude all phone numbers that they identify as being used for data or dial up internet connections.

Already known & understood ... if that happened, would look seriously at Cachecard .. so? I w onder who might pre-empt and start telling telephone companies??
I don't mind doing the necessary to install that new disk, but don't want the hassle and fiddle of tearing things apart to update it as and when necessary

Then you also need to install a network card like a Cachecard or Turbonet card in your Tivo unless the AltEPG can find a way to roll out Software Updates over the dialup connection like Tivo originally did. Even if they did manage to do this I doubt this would include hacks outside the actual Tivo application such as Tivoweb and Endpad.

Which was the original point .. so ?
Still learning ..

bandsp
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Return to General