fund ... to keep it alive

General Discussion

fund ... to keep it alive

Postby dotdot » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:57 pm

Hello folks.

more of .. do you guys thinking this will go for a long time.. or do you need any ££ to keep it going ? message.!

if you do - and someone wants to set up a paypal id - let us all know.

I'm sure more than a few of us would like to chip in.

me ? yeah we're still using our box - life without it - well - the telly would go in the bin.
it's funny how folks now have cuaght on via virgin etc.. - but then they're paying through the nose - whilst we soldier on... in the "free" world.

kind of ironic really ;)

cheers folks

and yeah keep up the great work / epg going ;)
dotdot
Almost there...
Almost there...

Re: fund ... to keep it alive

Postby steveroe » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks for using ALTEpg, glad it's helping you!

There's some information about funding here: http://www.altepg.com/donate/index.html
steveroe
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Furbag » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Just lobbed another £50 in the pot for all your efforts, sorry I cant give more of my time to the guide data side of things as I'm still using a lot of my spare time looking after elderly parents :cry:
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby philg » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 pm

I ask the same question every so often, and it's about time to try again

I also lob the ALT-EPG team a few quid every so often, but I'd really like to be able to set up a regular recurring payment (£10 a month seems fair - that's what Tivo themselves were getting) - I'd even be willing to sign some sort of "no expectations on service level are implied" etc

I think last time I asked there was some issue with being paid to provide free stuff - so how about a hardware fund??

Phil G
philg
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Furbag » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Just as a side note and clarification, I am not paying/donating for the software or the listings as these are all open source and free and part of the reason they are free and open source is they CANNOT be charged for.

I am donating to assist with the electrical running costs for the servers :wink:
Furbag
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:18 pm

Yes, very important. It's a condition of the licence that the data can never be charged for.
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby philg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:01 am

mrtickle wrote:Yes, very important. It's a condition of the licence that the data can never be charged for.

So it woudl be possible to arrange a recurring payment to cover hardware costs, especially if it were phrased that way?

I really do want to help, and this is about the only way I can

I'm sure my £10 per month would help with power bills etc
philg
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby Sharkietour » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:19 am

As most people here, I'd be happy to pay a tenner a month to ensure the service has the best chance, although I suspect, and please forgive me if I'm wrong, that hardware provision and maintenance is not the biggest threat to the service, but the time and goodwill required to format the data and finding volunteers to do this.

Would it be possible to set up some form of non-profit structure that that could then pay someone for the editing while not infringing terms of use for the data?
Rejecting VIRgin MedIa Ntl reality and substituting our own
Sharkietour
TiVo lover
TiVo lover

Postby mrtickle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Sharkietour wrote:Would it be possible to set up some form of non-profit structure that that could then pay someone for the editing while not infringing terms of use for the data?

Hmm interesting idea I think that's too tricky really. And I'd want 36 months' back-pay :mrgreen: It's a labour of love for us and I'd rather know there's enough in the kitty to cover emergency hardware failures. None of us want to be without TiVos!

Actually what would help our service most is more volunteer editors offering their time, to spread the editing workload. It's a bit of a learning curve but once you've got to grips with the backend system you can do as much or as little as your time allows, and any edits you do obviously help whoever else watches those programmes. In many cases once something is fixed (eg setting genres for a movie or series) it's done forever and all future showings benefit. If anyone would like to help please send me a PM .
--
links to my TiVo logos, TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 UK-20120818, Tracker v3.3.3 & v3.3.4 (17th Jun 2013), GDchecker v1.06b, Digiguide checker v0.4.3-rc5 and Autospace v1.65 can all be found in this post.
mrtickle
TVGuide Admin
TVGuide Admin

Postby Faventedeo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:20 am

I would be very happy to donate . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If only . . . .

a) This site would allow me to Log-In whenever I wish . . . . . . . . .
b) This site would allow me to alter my TiVo Box's details rather than keep adding new ones, (even though I do have three), I need to alter one of the boxes serial numbers. . . . . .
c) And probably the most important, would allow my boxes to "Log-In" too. . . . . . .

If someone can sort this out, I will donate immediately!!!!!
Faventedeo
Faventedeo
Powering up...
Powering up...

Postby healeydave » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Faventedeo wrote:I would be very happy to donate . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If only . . . .

a) This site would allow me to Log-In whenever I wish . . . . . . . . .
b) This site would allow me to alter my TiVo Box's details rather than keep adding new ones, (even though I do have three), I need to alter one of the boxes serial numbers. . . . . .
c) And probably the most important, would allow my boxes to "Log-In" too. . . . . . .

If someone can sort this out, I will donate immediately!!!!!

I am unaware of any problems with logging into the forum and checking on recent activity, it appears other people have been logging in fine too.

Since you created your account in 2010 and by your own admittance hardly ever use the site, I suspect its highly likely your trouble is remembering your credentials rather than technical problems but I apologise in advance if any technical difficulties are indeed found to be responsible.
So far though everything seems operable as far as I can tell from this end.
Keeping the dream alive.
healeydave
AltEPG Team
AltEPG Team

Return to General